[rescue] long shot... anybody got a Gateway 486?

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Tue Apr 30 12:50:39 CDT 2013

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013, Earl Baugh wrote:
> > I have some pictures of the shed ("Geek Palace") from May of 2011, which
> > is out of date only in the place is much more messy now, and the E10k
> > isn't there yet. http://kiwigeek.com/cgi-bin/jpgal?s=g&nd=GeekPala-May2011
> > My SP/2 actually lives in my office in town (I converted an old apartment
> > into an office) because I didn't have anywhere else to put it at the
> > time... and it was such a PIG to move an empty 600lbs rack up two flights
> > of stairs that I really, really, really am not looking forward to taking
> > it back out.
> >

> Curious what the machine with the Portrait oriented monitor is.   Monitor
> wise, it looks like the Xerox machine I was oogling at the recent VCF/Apple
> Pop up Museum.  I can't read the label, care to share?

That is a Xerox 860 IPS - a rather serious looking "word processor". I've
never actually powered it on, to my shame - but it was working when I
grabbed it. I have the proper keyboard (with a "koala", some kind of
track pad), printer and a pile of documentation and software, handily.

I've always been a bit leery of the two big capacitors in it - they're
about 3" in diameter and 6" high. I don't have a real cap tester and if
they pop off my kids are going to be mopping me up with a sponge. (At
least, that's what my nightmares are made of. The thing'll probably fire
right up)

 - JP