[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 125, Issue 35

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 27 17:56:57 CDT 2013

<ethan at 757tech.net>
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re:
[rescue] Sgi dat drive?
charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed

>I have one of these Seagate Python DAT
drives. If the firmware is in a
>standard EPROM I'll pull it off. If there is
a utility that can download
>it over SCSI, I could do that as well.
>
>At
some point in the future I will be selling it but it will be bundled
>with a
SGI Indigo, IRIX 5.2 original media, original keyboard and mouse
>and a
modified Toshiba CD-ROM.

>In the meantime, it would be fun to free that
firmware.

Ethan,
What model Seagate Python drive do you have?  There were
many models of those drives and even more firmware personalities.

Back in the
old days, for Exabyte 8mm drives, you could use one of their DOS utilities to
create a firmware load tape from a connected drive.  Really useful for
updating additional drives that don't have a host connection available or are
on a host where a download of firmware via SCSI isn't supported.  I'm not
aware of anything similar for the Pythons, but that would be cool.

-Jonathan