[rescue] Why gcc exists - Re: Help with SunFire V240 Server

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Apr 11 21:04:14 CDT 2013

On 04/11/13 13:25, John Floren wrote:
> gcc really likes to be helpful and optimize for you. We've found that
> sometimes, it'll optimize out entire loops and function calls, whether we
> wanted them executed or not!

I compiled an in-house application with gcc, and was amazed how tiny the
resulting executable was given the sixty-page functional spec for the
application and the eighty megabytes of source code.  When we ran it, we
later discovered that instead of performing all the fanciful things our
VP of Marketing had specified that it should do, it had simply put out a
contract on the VP of Marketing.  They got him on his way home two days
later, and it only cost 11% of the marketing budget.

Needless to say, I was highly impressed.  It really was a far more
elegant solution to the problem at hand.  I would totally use this
compiler again in similar circumstances.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.