[rescue] Help with SunFire V240 Server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 11:03:05 CDT 2013

The framebuffer question is more about hardware compatability than anything
else. I'm used to UPA and SBUS framebuffers, and the V240 appears to only have
PCI-X slots (not PCI Express).

A GUI over VNC will suit me fine, I just noticed framebuffer drivers during
the install and it got me thinking...

I installed via serial console, it auto-detected that and did a text install.

The V240 has USB ports, and I have a keyboard & mouse, thanks.

I must have missed the mirror option during install, I'll keep an eye out for
it next time.

Thanks,

Lionel

On Apr 11, 2013, at 11:25 AM, Andrew Gaylard <ag at computer.org> wrote:

> On 04/11/13 15:57, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> How do I:
>>
>>  - configure mirrored boot drive? Data drive? Is it something to do when I
>> select the drives to install on? (I've been in Windows-land so long I
>> forgot how, if I ever actually knew!)
> When installing, you must "boot cdrom - text" (I think).  I guess if you
don't have
> a framebuffer, the installer will be in text-mode anyway.  When you get to
select
> the boot disk, select two of them, and you should be offered a RAID-1
setup.

> ZFS doesn't offer RAID-0 or -5 on the boot zpool.  But mirroring is fine,
and it
> can be configured directly in the installer.
>>  - configure naming services in a home setting? I selected "No Naming
>> Services" this time around, but when I ran through the configuring "DNS"
>> naming service I had to specify a domain, which I don't have.
> I always select "DNS", and then enter my domain and DNS server.
> (what do you mean, "I don't have my own domain"?) :)
>
> I guess you can either pick "localdomain", or else go get one from
> one of the free dynamic DNS providers.
>
>>  - How does one access any security patches? I am installing the latest
>> Solaris 10 ISO from Oracle, I assume it is up-to-date as of the date they
>> released it (Jan/Feb 2013, IIRC) - that should be reasonably
secure/stable,
>> right? (I don't plan on running this on the Internet, so I only need to be
>> so concerned about security.
> As a hobbyist, I'd love to know this myself.
>>  - Sun used to offer a "Solaris Freeware" ISO full of shareware that was
>> easily installed, is that just long-gone? How do folks access
>> shareware/open software? Which repositories? What is the install process -
>> is it typically just download, unzip, run a shell script?
>
> The box I use for everything is a Ultra-45 running Solaris-10.
>
> I strongly recommend opencsw.org for most stuff.
>
> I use firefox, thunderbird, and lightning direct from

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/19.0.2/contrib/s
olaris_pkgadd/

https://adfinis-sygroup.ch/aoo-solaris-sparc