[rescue] Talking of OS installs of Suns; So I have this E450...

Mika Kongas mmk at makkeli.com
Mon Apr 8 13:34:34 CDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 12:46:32PM -0500, JP Hindin wrote:
> The DVD drive won't eject on its own. Hitting the eject button the light
> flashes and it -sounds- like something is going on, but the tray never
> releases. Using the appropriate force-eject tool, I can insert the Solaris
> DVD, but when I hit the button the tray retracts and then spits back out
> immediately. If I... persuade it to keep the tray in (I feel dirty doing
> this), and then ask it to 'boot cdrom' the DVD appears to spin up and I
> get a 'bad magic number' error.

Toshiba CD/DVD drives are notorious for doing this. What happens is that
a gear jumps off of a spindle inside of the drive. If you can, take the
drive apart, put the gear back in place and stick a dab of glue on the top
of the spindle. Without the glue the gear will just jump out the first
time you use the drive. I've got four SGI O2s with these drives and every
single one has the same problem -- at least they're consistent :)

Mika