[rescue] Help with SunFire V240 Server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 19:47:59 CDT 2013

I agree, my mail client shows your email as the 40th in this thread.

I'm on hiatus until the actual Sun DVD drive arrives later this week - I opted
to spring $20 for the right part shipped from an eBay vendor, after my failed
attempt with a spare laptop DVD and my lack of interest in trying any number
of other laptop drives...

I hope to get Solaris 10 installed on it, I downloaded the ISO from Oracle. I
don't anticipate a problem with the installation, as I've done dozens of
Solaris 2.6, 7, and 8 'back in the day'...

A serial connection was trivial, I installed OpenSSH on a Win7 PC and plugged
a blue Cisco RJ-45 cable into the serial mgmt port - everything just worked.

I plan to try and connect to it via VNC to open X sessions from a Windows PC.

Once I get Solaris on the box, I guess I can reset the ALOM password.

Of course, once I finish all this I have no real use for the box...

Lionel

On Apr 7, 2013, at 8:25 PM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc> wrote:

> I have to say, I am amazed with all the traffic you thread has generated
Lionel, both on and off topic.