[rescue] Help with SunFire V240 Server

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 15:33:14 CDT 2013

Hello all,

I've had this lying around for a while, decided it was time to do something
with it. "It" is a SunFire V240 w/ 2 CPUs of unknown speed, with 4x wiped
HDs (2x 72G 2x146G SAS) and 8 Gigs of RAM. It powers-up fine, runs through
all diagnostics, then stops and drops to the open-boot prompt ('ok').

I'd like to get this running, I presume Solaris is still an option (albeit
an older release w/ no patches available), but other choices must be
available - suggestions?

And, of course, since this server does not have a DVD drive on-board, how
should I go about installing an OS? Is a USB optical drive an option? USB
flash drive? I don't have a boot server available and would prefer to not
set one up if at all possible.

I can connect to the machine and watch Power-on tests, and can interact
with the OBP via a serial connection.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Thanks,

Lionel

--
Lionel Peterson