[rescue] Sun T1000 disk and pcie options

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Oct 16 01:15:55 CDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc> wrote:
> This question pops up now and again, and I am confused why you would
> want to run anything other than Solaris 10 or 11 or one of the *Solaris
> distro's on it.

I didn't intend to assume that a version of Solaris with publicly
available updates would have current support. And considering that
when these machines were current, Jonathan was promoting Ubuntu on
Niagara... it's not nearly as unreasonable a guess as you might
believe. And there are some metrics that suggest that, at some point
when this was a current model, Ubuntu had better threading performance
than Solaris at the time. See
http://www.stdlib.net/~colmmacc/2006/04/13/more-ubuntu-on-t2000/

> If you join the OpenIndiana mailing list (I am assuming that you are not
> already there), Martin Bochnig just recently completed an OpenIndiana
> live distro just last week that would run on this box.

Ah, found it. http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/MartUX_OpenIndiana+oi_151a+SPARC+LiveDVD

I may try to get an install method and give this a shot...

> Even if you had lunux or what ever up and running without any issues,
> what would be the point?  you would loose out on all the neat things you
> can do with a cool threads/Niagara processor.  It would be like going
> out purchasing the latest x86 processor, then running nothing other than
> FreeDOS on it.

A little inaccurate, but I understand the point you hopefully were
trying to make. But assuming I don't need every feature of Niagara on
a six year old server in my spare bedroom, it's not quite the same as
porting netbsd 1.0 to the platform.

> I'm not intentionally picking on you, but this isn't the first time I
> have seen this, or a similar question.  I just don't see the logic in
> running anything else.

That's okay. I appreciate the pointer toward MartUX.

Robert