[rescue] Free for pickup: Sun Enterprise 450

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Fri Oct 5 07:39:00 CDT 2012

On 05/10/12 7:19 AM, RichTea wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Toby Thain<toby at telegraphics.com.au>  wrote:
>
>> On 04/10/12 1:38 PM, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 4 Oct 2012 11:44:16 +0100
>>> RichTea<mail at catsnest.co.uk>   wrote:
>>>
>>>   There is a filly loaded E450 In Leeds, England. free to a good home...
>>>>
>>> You may advertise the availability on the classiccmp mailing list also:
>>> http://www.classiccmp.org/**lists.html<http://www.classiccmp.org/lists.html>
>>>

>> I would point out that the E450 is not only a little hard to replace these
>> days, but it's also modern enough to be useful, especially decently
>> configured. Ideal for supporting Solaris builds for open source projects,
>> say, or any Solaris/Java based development.
>>
>> I own one. If you can take it, grab this unit, is my advice. They are
>> big-ish but they are fairly quiet (much quieter than smaller rack servers).
>>

> --Toby
>

> In deed they are a class server, I would like to keep it / use it but I
> live in a smalish flat and think if some one will make use of it they are
> welcome to. I dont have the hart to skip it.
>
> I also have enough disks to fill it ...
>
> $work still has a few critical systems running on E450's.
>
> DOH now I want to keep it again, Its a prowd part of my Sun museum.

Oh yes - I know that feeling. Definitely too good for the dumpster.

I decided to put only the small SCSI backplane in mine (which is 4 x
450MHz + 3.5GB RAM), as I didn't want to run too many disks (just
wearing them out, and SCSI is expensive to replace these days).

Jochen's Sun 3 is also a terrific piece of kit.

--Toby