[rescue] Looking for Brocade FC switch and HBAs

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Nov 19 23:42:32 CST 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM, John Lengeling
<John.Lengeling at radisys.com> wrote:
> I want to play with some FC and FC SAN.
>
> Does anyone have a Brocade FC switch and a couple of PCI, PCIe, PCI-X FC
> adaptors available?

These are pretty easy to find around here. PCIe not so easy (at least
not cheaply) but PCI-X is easy. I have a pile of emulex, qlogic, and
possibly an adaptec in the shop, and an 8 port Silkworm half-width
switch as well. I almost picked up a 16 port 3800 this weekend, but
resisted. :)

Any idea how many ports you want, what interfaces, and what sort of
budget? (Feel free to take the topic offlist if you like)

> What about an FC RAID array?  Probably too heavy to ship the RAID array if you
> have one...

I'd suggest trying OpenFiler
(http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Fibre_Channel_storage_with_HBA_target_mode)
or Nexenta (http://www.nexentastor.org/boards/1/topics/2467) with FC
target mode, might be easier/quieter/cheaper/more dense for capacity
than a FC array. Especially with an XPC or other small box. The
Adaptec FC array I have is something like 50 pounds I think. Might
also find a disused Netapp shelf, I think that should do about the
same.