[rescue] looking for older PC (pedestal type, with hotswap bays)

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon Nov 19 07:36:35 CST 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 05:24:03AM -0500, kyle wrote:
> Hi everyone, I am looking for an older PC that has a bunch of hotswap
> bays. I recall there were many models that had a pedestal/deskside
> type of case, and normally one side of the front would have at least 6
> drive bays. I'm hoping to find one with a Pentium, Pentium Pro or
> Pentium II cpu. I don't necessarily need RAM or drives, but the
> case/mobo/psu I would need, and I can possibly use some cpus I have in
> storage. I am in NJ, and will entertain having something shipped in
> depending on the cost. So, if you have something, please get in touch!

I have a quad Pentium Pro with some amount of RAM that i remember being a lot for the time, 12 hot swap bays, mylex RAID controller, 18GB drives installed and a stash of spare drives.  It was a pretty cool home server years ago, but i replaced it a long time ago and it has just been collecting dust since.  It's a tower case about 19" wide and probably 24" tall.  It had been a little tempermental toward the end of my use of it, sometimes it would not recognize all four CPUs and i would have to reseat a CPU board to get all four again.  Also, the drives took longer to spin up than the controller's timout waiting for them, so the power on procedure was to power it up, then hit the reset button once all of the drives were spinning.  I'd love to see it go to a good home.

It's in Northern Indiana, and I am in Northern Illinois, but I could bring it with me when travelling to northeastern Ohio around the holidays (possibly sooner) if you want to meet me somewhere for it.  Shipping with almost certainly be freight if you want to explore that option.

	-Dan Sikorski