[rescue] Down on a holiday weekend and can't get V100's to boot: IDE bus issues?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Sun May 27 09:15:00 CDT 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 04:09:59PM +0300, Meelis Roos wrote:
> I tried this CD drive from V100 in my V240 and could not boot (probe-ide
> saw it). I solved it bu grabbind a bunch of laptop dvd drives and
> trying them in order - one out of 5 worked and I could install.

I thought about that, but: (a) I have two identical units here with the
same problem, which I would think decreases the probability that I have
dead CDROM drives and (b) I tried both drives with different bootable
CDs, in case it was the CDs.  I do have spare V100 CDROM drives available,
and will try those shortly, but I still think the most likely explanation
is that the drives are fine and I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,
---rsk