[rescue] Down on a holiday weekend and can't get V100's to boot: IDE bus issues?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Sun May 27 07:21:03 CDT 2012

I'm trying to quickly set up a pair of V100's to replace two (yes...two)
failed systems that are currently down and probably not coming back. I'm
working on the first one now and intend to make the second a clone.  Both
systems will have 2 Seagate 40G drives, or at least that's my intention.

My issue appears to be related to the IDE bus and inability to boot
from CDROM.   I get this in response to probe-ide:

	ok probe-ide
	  Device 0  ( Primary Master )
		  ATA Model: ST340016A

	  Device 1  ( Primary Slave )
		 Not Present

	  Device 2  ( Secondary Master )
		 Removable ATAPI Model: CD-224E

	  Device 3  ( Secondary Slave )
		  ATA Model: ST340016A

I have one of the Seagate Barracudas jumpered as a master, one unjumpered
(slave), and I don't know the jumpering on the CD drive because I don't
know how to determine that.

I get this in response to boot cdrom:

	ok boot cdrom
	Boot device: /pci at 1f,0/ide at d/cdrom at 3,0:f  File and args:
	Can't read disk label.
	Can't open disk label package

	Can't open boot device

So of course I've been Googling, and have found:

	https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1902840
	https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1902933
	https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1902855

But none of those appear to exactly match my situation.

I would greatly appreciate guidance on how to proceed, as at least
at the moment, I'm completely stuck.

Thanks,
---rsk