[rescue] Anyone know what kind of machines these are?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at artell.net
Fri May 25 12:19:49 CDT 2012

Michael Parson said ...

> > http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/09/19/1955-mercedes-benz-300-s
> > l-alloy -body-gullwing-the-ultimate-barn-find/
>
> I'd say it's one of the prettier road-cars ever made. :)
>
> They've got a sad history though, one was involved in one of
> the worst racing accidents in history.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_Le_Mans_disaster

The SLR racer was different from SL road car in many respects.  Firstly, it
was an open car, not a coupe.  Secondly, and more relevant to the Le Mans
crash, it had a lot of magnesium-alloy parts.  This contributed to both the
car's near-explosive breakup, because it was a bit brittle, and to the
extent and severity of the fires.  The non-standard fuel it used added to
the fires.

Still, the Le Mans crash was a terrible and sad event.

I've driven a "normal" Gullwing, and it's an amazing car.  The contemporary
Jaguars and Healeys are definitely "fifties" sports cars,  The 300 SL is
like something from another planet.  Much more integrated and smooth.

-Shel