[rescue] IBM 9111-285 Won't Power Up Anymore

Stephen Conley cheetah at tanabi.org
Mon Mar 5 19:58:29 CST 2012

Oh hey!  I know you!  I stumbled across those photos on that flickr
page when I was investigating things.  Cool to run into you :)

Yeah, I was careful to actually remove and re-seat it.  I've tried
again (through the drive bay, which is easier to get in/out than the
fans) and it doesn't seem to help.

I'm starting to think it's the power supply.  The other person who
replied (Meelis Roos), I'm probably not having his problem because
there's no real way for the power supply on the 285 to short (unless
something comes loose INSIDE it, then it could short -- but the wire
described by Meelis doesn't exist in the 285) so I think I'm going to
be stuck buying a new power supply and crossing my fingers.  I mean,
it COULD be the mainboard, but I can't imagine what I could have
possibly done to the poor thing to hurt the main board :P

I will try your suggestion with the IP's (I'll research it first to
make sure I do it right!).  In my wanderings I did not read anything
about that, but it's really easy to miss the forest for the trees.  So
I will try that before purchasing the power supply and hope that maybe
I can get some insight.

Thank you both for the feedback and help; whatever happens, I'll post
back later for posterity so we can all know what it is in the future
:)

(Other than a money pit, which, to date, this machine has excelled
wonderfully at! :) )

Thanks!!! :)

Steve