[rescue] Opinions - what OS for Sun E3500?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Sun Jun 10 04:28:10 CDT 2012

please see inline comments.....

On 06/10/12 12:22 AM, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 21:06:16 -0400 (EDT)
> adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker) wrote:
>
>> " From: Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc>
>> "
>> " []
>> "
>> " Unfortunately, as well as they are doing on X86, they are stumbling
>> " around with Sparc just as much.
>> "
>> " It seems everyone in the Illumos/OpenIndiana community knows that they
>> " need to get moving on Sparc, combined with the fact that it is an
>> " incredible growth opportunity with Oracle dropping the Sun4u platform
>> " with Solaris 11.
>
> Not only sun4u but even sun4v...

I am pretty certain that sun4v is supported in S11.  Are you indicating
something else????????

>> makes me wonder if any of us here on this list could help, with
>> testbeds if nothing else.  must be plenty of idle sparcs...	;^>
>
> I was watching the list on gmane and they linked to a page where people
> were offering test machines. I don't think a shortage of machines is the
> issue. I think a shortage of Illumos devs who want to run SPARC boxes is
> the issue...

I agree.  Certain people within the Illumos/OpenIndiana organization
seem to be very pro Sparc.  Others seem to be very anti *Sparc*,
possibly being burnt by Oracle, or other negative past experiences with
Oracle.  I am certain I am missing something, AFAIK, Sparc is the most
open CPU architecture there is.

Jerry