[rescue] Learned something new today...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:03:26 CDT 2012

So, I went ahead and bought a Tyan "New Old Stock" barebones server
for $100 from Geeks.com - it takes two Opteron 2000 series processors
in a 1U chassis - I wanted to put a small pile of Server RAM to use.

So the server arrived, the CPUs go in (dual quads w/ 6 Meg Cache for
$38/each from Compuvest.com), throw in a couple 3.5" SATA drives and
then I go to plug in the RAM - it won't fit. The manual says it want
DDR2-667 ECC Registered RAM, my RAM is DDR3-667 ECC Fully Buffered.

After a go-round with TYAN support (which was very responsive and very
helpful), it turns out that Registered RAM is not the same as Fully
Buffered.

So now I need to find a way to turn a small pile of Fully Buffered RAM
(from an Intel/Dell server upgrade) for Registered RAM (for my AMD
Server board) - anyone wanna swap?

The barebones I got is a Tyan B2933 with a Tyan S2933 MB - there are
no more left a geeks.com AFAIK.

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com