[rescue] whois advice needed

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Aug 28 17:43:25 CDT 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, Robert Novak wrote:

> That kinda assumes that the people in the "someone else's domain" are
> paying attention at all, which if they haven't noticed no DNS results for
> their domain yet... is unlikely?
>
> I don't think Scott is saying that someone put his nameservers into
> Dotster's domain.

Most likely what's happened is that the customer mis-typed one of the
nameserver IPs for the domain.  If it's just getting NXDOMAIN, then
"sometimes the site doesn't load right away."

If it comes up as "Someone just registered your domain through Namecheap,"
someone will notice.

If they're _all_ mistyped, the same thing holds.  "This stupid thing
doesn't work *wham wham wham*" versus "ZOMG who stole my domain?!"

--
Jonathan Patschke    |    "If one does not fail at times, then one has
Elgin, TX            %     not challenged himself."