[rescue] q on Sun x64 hardware - SAS and SATA drives?

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Mon Sep 26 18:17:45 CDT 2011

On 09/25/2011 08:27 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> I know that the spec "says" SATA drives will work with SAS
> [controllers] but would like to hear about actual hands-on
> experience with them.

I'm doing it right now, with a pair of Seagate retail SATA drives
connected to the SAS controller of a Dell PWS 690. The Fujitsu MAX3073
SAS drives they replaced are sitting on my desk as I type this, and the
system seems perfectly happy - though I did notice the drop in RPM from
15 to 7.2k...

There's what appears to be an excellent article, "From 16 to 2 ports:
Ideal SATA/SAS Controllers for ZFS & Linux MD RAID" at
http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=10 which recommends using a SAS controller
with SATA drives. He mentions the x4200 and it's controller several times.

I'm taking this advice - I've ordered an LSI 9212-4i4e SAS controller
for an external array of Seagate SATA drives currently hanging off an
old 3ware 9500S with an, uhm, "creative" cabling arrangement...

--/Steve/.