[rescue] Looking for a Quad G5

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 08:18:28 CDT 2011

On 13 Sep 2011, at 14:09, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:

> As a side note, with the exception of the Mac Pro, of course, it would
> be *very* hard to find any desktop of similar engineering quality to the
> G5. An extraordinarily beautiful and functional artefact.

It is a truly great case design - up there with the best enterprise gear.
Solid construction, good airflow using high quality fans.

I have a Mac Pro so I can't speak for the G5s but my only complaint OS early
Mac Pros are a cow to service. Later ones are apparently less so - dunno about
the G5s.

> Also: built-in interfaces. Up to 2 GbE, optical audio, FW800 (front and
> back!), often with Bluetooth and wifi.

Just be sure to get the antenna, they were external plug-on items for BT and
WiFi on some or all G5s which probably means the Bluetooth reception is
somewhat less god awful than the Mac Pro ;)

I've started looking at non-liquid cooled models and 2.0 and 2.3 DPs look
really good value on the 'Bay - just need a good seller.

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog