[rescue] Looking for a Quad G5

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Sep 12 10:34:00 CDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 08:16:48AM -0700, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
[...]
> (And yes, I realize that Apple has moved away from Intel and that the
> PowerPC is a dead platform with zero software future. It doesn't stop me
> from enjoying it.)

Although the Quad-core G5 is very much a Road Apple, an unreliable piece of
hardware that was a transition technology. I had a work-provided one back in
2007-ish, and it did throw tantrums from time to time.

Intel is fine these days once the CPUs are in long mode, which disables all
of that hateful legacy cruft. So avoid any Intel Mac that just has the
regular Core Duo (or worse, Core Solo) or only has the sluggish Intel
integrated graphics, and you're golden.

Failing that, you're welcome to haul away my stash of G3 and G4 boxes;
there's four cores between the lot of them :)