[rescue] [geeks] AppleMacanix GFX cards

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 01:33:00 CDT 2011

On 4 Sep 2011, at 17:38, Nick B wrote:

> Did you seriously just kvetch about a commodity video card "only"
> lasting 3 years?

No I kvetched about an Apple video card only lasting 3 years. I know it's the
same card as the PC version but it died of a cooling issue due to the
aforementioned bad design. You might think if they are gonna sting you for
that kind of money they'd at least go the to a mild amount of effort to make
sure it was going to at last at least the life off the computer you were going
to install it in. The 7300GT that came with the Mac Pro I have has outlasted
it by 2 years. Makes me thing perhaps the 8800GT cards were a last minute
addition to Apple's line-up for that era Mac Pro, or Apple just flat out chose
the wrong heat management system for them, that low profile cooler was a poor
design (thanks, NVIDIA). I'm pretty sure it'd have lasted fine if it'd have
had the deeper double-deck cooler on that a lot of PC 8800GTs had.

For the record I've had 'commodity' video cards last a lot less than 3 years.
Think the worst one I've had was about 18 months. I've also got a couple of
Sapphire Radeon cards that have lasted since the ark was afloat so it works
both ways.

Besides all that why can't I kvetch about video cards not lasting? Don't tell
me you think it's a good thing :P

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: