[rescue] Sun E450's

Lex Landa brooknet at imap.cc
Fri Nov 11 13:49:15 CST 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 13:10 -0600, JP Hindin wrote:

> I moved a 2200lbs IBM RS/6000 SP/2 system up a storey and a half of
> 50-degrees-incline stairs. We managed to bend the little aluminium kick
> strips they put on the stairs into a cute little W-shape from the wheels
> of the appliance cart. Good thing my landlord was my uncle.

Yes, a very good thing, and in the case of the 'fruit machine-moving
incident' (see previous message), the landlord was my stepfather.  I
recall a conversation on this list a few weeks ago, about the best way
to move heavy industrial equipment.  The manufacturers build these
things to last, but they don't seem to envision a scenario where, years
into the future, a retro-computing enthusiast would want to lug one up
the stairs of a cramped Victorian house - sideways, in my case.  I am
equally puzzled as to why the builders didn't make the windows
easily-removable; the house in which I live is a listed building, which
means that modification of the windows is forbidden by law.

As you say, the only way to do it is to take the equipment apart,
transport it and put it back together again, later.  Pity that it
doesn't solve the distance between Leeds and Devon (see earlier
message), which remains mostly constant.

Regards,

Lex.