[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 102, Issue 16

Derrik Walker v2.0 lorddoomicus at mac.com
Thu May 19 22:29:13 CDT 2011

On 05/19/2011 11:08 PM, der Mouse wrote:
>> If your home has electric heat then there is absolutely zero cost
>> difference between heating it with resistance elements and heating it
>> with computing elements.
> While this is close to true, it's not quite true.
>
> This is largely because electric heat is generally distributed among
> the various rooms, whereas computing heat is concentrated where the
> computers are.  Since heat generally does not flow very well from room
> to room, this means the machine room is over-heated, leading to
> inefficiencies.

I've seen setups where the exhaust fans of server racks ( power series
and challenge type systems ) where connected to the house's ventilation
system.

Along those lines, I was thinking it would be cool ( or hot in this case
) to use a Cray-1 as a water heater.

I can see it now ... OK dear, you want to take a long hot shower, let me
start the Cray on finding digits to pi :)

- Derrik