[rescue] rescue Digest, Vol 102, Issue 16

Scott Quinn saquinn624 at aol.com
Thu May 19 18:58:49 CDT 2011

Message: 10
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 13:30:20 -0600
To: rescue at sunhelp.org
Subject: Re: [rescue] SGI hardware (WAS hardware FS/FT)

And every year around the holidays you get a thank you card from your
electricity provider. :-)

On 19/05/2011 1:24 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Quoth Scott Quinn ...
> [snip exellent run-down of small SGI machines]
>> All of these are happy at home, though they aren't whisper
>> quiet (excluding the O2 and the Indy).
> At the other end of the scale, the "server" machines can be a lot of fun,
> and they can double as home heating systems for the deaf.
>
> -Shel

If your home has electric heat then there is absolutely zero cost difference
between heating it with resistance elements and heating it with computing
elements.

Regarding the cost debate: SGI machines are definitely a location-dependent
item (things used to be good up here before we lost Boeing Surplus), but in
general there are some machines that have more value: Tezro is one, because it
is new, as does O350 (partially because few are around, it's fast, and you can
put a VPro in there and turn it in to an Onyx350). Octane VPro is a definite
price bump over Octane/IMPACT, and O2 has value far in excess of what it
should have based on processor speed compared to Octane, taking into account
O2's limits (slower in most cases for a given processor, slower processors,
single only, much lower memory limit, no hardware geometry). However it has
been used in some CT and other medical imaging systems, so there are those
willing to pay big bucks for them.