[rescue] Fully-Ejecting DVD Writer Recommendations?

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Tue Mar 22 19:20:09 CDT 2011

Barry Callahan wrote:
> On 03/22/2011 01:43 PM, Mr Ian Primus wrote:
>> Hmm. The drive in my Dell PC here at work seems to eject all the way -
>> it's reported as a PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16ABS by the OS. But, I do know
>> what you mean with the tray not coming out quite far enough. Have you
>> tried removing the faceplate from the drive to get some more clearance?
>>

> Unfortunately, that wouldn't work. Even if it gained me enough space for
> the disk to clear the drive, I'd have to modify the mounting to move it
> forward by a few mm to compensate. It'll be much easier all around for
> me to find a drive that just spits out far enough to work.

Ejecting the disk on the DVD writer in my desktop appears to provide
clearance, though it is only like a mm or so. The OS tells me that it is
   a SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive, which, knowing me,
was not very expensive. ;-)

Lifting the disk straight up when ejected seems to clear the faceplate
of the drive, but not the faceplate of the ThinkCentre that it is
mounted in.

I assume that you have figured out how to avoid introducing problems
like that wherever you mount it.

Steve