[rescue] suggestions on the ultimate Mac OS 9 system?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Mar 16 17:37:01 CDT 2011

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:31:40 -0500, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc>
wrote:
> At this point in time, most G4 systems should be 6 years old, or older.
>  But, they are pretty cheap to pick up, and are still pretty common.  If
> you were looking for a G4 system for OS 9, what system would you
acquire.

I did this several years ago.  Settled on a PowerMac G4 'Digital Audio'
with 1.5GB RAM, PCI SATA card, GeForce 4Ti graphics card, UltraSCSI card,
dual-layer DVD writer, CPU upgraded to 1.4Ghz G4 (single CPU, since so few
OS 9 applications ever supported more than one CPU), and another PCI card
or two I can't remember at the moment.  I have a wiring harness to adapt a
standard ATX power supply to the system, so I don't have to worry about
hunting down or repairing Apple's power supplies years down the road.
Hopefully this will work as long as my Mac 128k (27 years and counting).

- Nate