[rescue] External Drive on a Mac Book Chassis

Mr Ian Primus ian_primus at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 17:09:04 CDT 2011

--- On Tue, 3/15/11, William Barnett-Lewis <wlewisiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would the USB 2 bus be fast
> enough as a
> system/data disk on this system or am I just kidding
> myself?

It will function.

It's probably going to be slow though. If you used FireWire, it should be fine though. FireWire is much better at sustained transfers than USB is. I actually have used a Mac booted off a FireWire 400 disk - it was fine.

Laptop hard disks are cheap enough though - just get a 2.5" SATA drive and replace the disk in the laptop, and use the external drive for bulk data storage.

-Ian