[rescue] Early LINUX distros.

Jonathan Sturges jonathansturges at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 07:36:15 CDT 2011

> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:11:31 +0200
> From: gsm at mendelson.com
> To: The Rescue List  <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: Re:  [rescue] Early LINUX distros.
>
> If you look at  <http://linuxmafia.com/faq/RedHat/releases.html>
>
> You get a good  picture of the history of Red Hat.
>
> What you don't see is competing  distros, in 1995 when I first got into Linux,
> I bought a CD ROM with 2 or 3  Linux distros (none of them Red Hat) and
> a BSD release. You had to burn  floppies to install any of them.

I bought a bunch of these too.  Pretty much whenever the computer shows would
come to town, I'd cruise through them and would often buy the multi-distro CDs
you are speaking of.  I think I have all the CDs I ever bought; I'm going to
have to dig them out and catalog them.  Hard to believe that's been 15 years or
more already.

Some of those CD sets did have RedHat.  The earliest RedHat I know I have is
3.3, since I ran that on the DEC Multia I bought in 1996.  Ahh, the memories.
:-)

-Jonathan