[rescue] iMac G3 333MHz questions

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Mar 1 02:39:17 CST 2011

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Dan Duncan wrote:

> It has 288MB (I assume 256 + 32) and OS 9.1 on it.  It seems that some
> will take 256 + 256 and others only work with 256 + 128.

According to everymac, the first rev 233MHz model could not accept two
256MB DIMMs, but the 266MHz and 333MHz (as well as rev B 233MHz) systems
should be fine.  You want PC66 SDRAM.

> If it doesn't like the 2nd 256MB module does it only show as 128MB or
> does it not show at all?

My experience with a similar vintage of Mac is that it will not see the
module at all, if it is incompatible.  On my B&W Power Macintosh G3, it
didn't like high-density DIMMs.

--
Jonathan Patschke |
Elgin, TX         | "He who is contented is rich." -- Lao Tzu