[rescue] Server lift: rent, borrow, or buy?

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Mon Jun 27 17:13:56 CDT 2011

On 06/27/2011 01:03 PM, William Enestvedt wrote:

>     So I am curious: can one rent a data center lift? If so, from whom?
> (I'm in Providence, RI.) We don't anticipate having much more equipment
> this big come in any time soon, so I don't see a $2000 purchase as very
> practical. Do people with only infrequent need borrow one from, say,
> another nearby school or something?

Another way to amortize this investment is small jobs.  Sure, you don't
install 500 lb systems every day, but you probably rack/derack 2Us and
4Us fairly frequently.

Things that used to require two men to do safely will now require one
man.  If you were previously using one man, unsafely, now he can do the
job with decreased risk.

For my money, $2,000 to never be sued for someone dropping a server on
his leg seems like a good deal.