[rescue] Server lift: rent, borrow, or buy?

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Jun 27 16:34:00 CDT 2011

On 6/27/2011 5:17 PM, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>    On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, Mauricio Tavares wrote:
>
>>      I was picturing 2 triangular pieces bolted to the top of the
>> rack (using the normal holes), one on each side, a few pulleys (to
>> have work advantage), and a platform to sit the server on (and slide
>> it to/from).
>
>    That'd be valid if and only if the rack was bolted to the floor and
> the floor could not be pulled up.  Three hundred pounds cantilevered
> out three feet (at least) atop a six-foot rack is a *lot* of force and
> certainly something one would *NOT* want to be under or even near if
> the rack pulled out.

Gravity never sleeps...

You might find a caveman method of using a simple pump jack / floor
jack, followed by progressively lifting the item and them putting cinder
blocks or whatnot underneath it, then lifting again, to be the simplest
and safest method.

No fancy levers that can get you in trouble and nothing to sway - force
is either up or down and can't really go sideways on you.

--Patrick