[rescue] Rescuing a Thinkpad T42

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Jun 22 20:03:05 CDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 03:47:43PM -0400, Charles Monett wrote:
> On 6/22/2011 2:33 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
> >On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 01:00:50PM -0400, Charles Monett wrote:
> >>Which model number of UltraBay adapter?  I thought the SATA ones
> >>weren't as backward compatible with the T4x series.
> >Officially, they're not.  The "Real" IBM ones require slight modifications
> >to work with the T4x series.
> >The aftermarket one I bought, slid right in.
> >Here's what I bought:
> >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300539206106
> Mechanical modifications, electrical, or both?

Physical.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Ultrabay_Slim_SATA_HDD_Adapter

"The adapter has a black plastic grommet at the back that restricts its use
 to the 60 series ThinkPads. Some people have successfully removed this
 grommet with a pair of channel lock pliers, or sliced it off with a Dremel
 after which it will fit into older ThinkPads like the T40 series. This
 works because the adapter actually bridges the SATA HDD to PATA as those
 older machines have no SATA support."

Bill

--
Bill Bradford