[rescue] Interesting UK eBay Auction...

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Fri Jun 17 16:26:56 CDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Michael-John Turner <mj at mjturner.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:13:42PM +0100, Mark Benson wrote:
<snip>
>> Well this is what made me wonder, given the zx6000 is sold as a rack server
>> *and* a tower workstation and it's the same unit with either rack mountings or
>> a desktop pedestal setup.
>
> Indeed. Subjective reports suggest it's not too noisy (one would hope
> it's reasonably quiet as it's designed to be used in an office
> environment).
<snip>

I had a zx6000, with the desktop skins, as a workstation, running both
HP-UX 11.x and Gentoo Linux.  The hardware is quality, IMO.  It's
quite fast, even given the fairly slow (by Itanium2 standards) 1.33gHz
CPUs, and the stock graphics aren't bad.  Subjectively, it's not at
all loud (for a workstation), and it _feels_ right.

I'd still have mine, but a 2-year period living in a 900ft^2 house
(with 4 bedrooms and 2 full baths!) caused me to have to part with
almost all of my workstations and servers.

- Alex