[rescue] KVM-over-ip

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:04:49 CDT 2011

No, KVM-over-IP is a dongle to your cat5 switch, and your KVM has a single IP
connection.

What you describe is an IP KVM extender.

KVM-over-IP is best suited for remote management of lone servers, where it is
impractical to run a second dedicated KVM cable.

There are also (just to completely muddy the water) so-called Cat5 KVMs, where
you buy a dedicated KVM base unit, with an RJ45 port for each system, and you
deploy either USB or PS/2 dongles to each system. This simplifies cabling
requirements for management of multiple local servers...

I recently bought one of these units for my rack, a 16 port KVM & handful of
dongles was pretty reasonably priced. USB dongles are about $75/ea, PS/2 are
half that, on eBay. My unit is Dell branded, we use them at $WORK...

Hope that helps,

Lionel