[rescue] Rescued Sun servers, now what?!

Bill Green bill at supposedly.org
Wed Jun 15 11:58:15 CDT 2011

 On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 16:50:41 +0000, vintagecoder at aol.com wrote:

> 2. Is there a way to tell how much RAM the boxes have and what clock
> speed
> CPUs or is it just easier to do when they come up, by issuing some
> command?

 The OpenFirmware banner will display this information when the machine
 boots.

> 3. Is it safe to vacuum the servers periodically with a regular
> vacuum
> brush or how should they be kept clean? I have a lot of dust where I
> live.

 Don't do this! Vacuum cleaners can produce a great deal of static
 charge at the
 attachment end, and you'll likely end up frying something.  Use a can
 of
 compressed air.

> 4. What serial terminal emulator would you recommend, for those of us
> that
> don't have real serial consoles? Is minicomm ok? I don't think I have
> ever
> used a serial terminal emulator, we used to have real consoles.

 I usually just use BSD `tip` but minicom or emacs' terminal mode also
 work fine.