[rescue] [off-topic] Vacuuming your servers is like cleaning them with a Van deGraff generator

Derrik Walker lorddoomicus at mac.com
Thu Jul 28 12:45:15 CDT 2011

Wouldn't a well designed DC fan circuit just have a diode on the positive
input to the fan?

That should protect from any back DC current if the fan is spun by compressed
air, a human hand or even the momentum from the fan blades after it's turned
off.

If the negative is tied too;? ground ( which is typical ), a small capacitor
between the negative input and ground is also a good idea to stop transients
from variations in fan speed ( spinning up and spinning down, and maybe even
variations while its running ) from bleeding back into the ground bus.

- Derrik