[rescue] OpenGenera (Was: More items for sale)

steve algernon stevealgernon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:09:06 CDT 2011

>On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 06:18:44PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 08:30:43PM +0200, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
>> > I'm also interested in taking OpenGenera for a spin.
>> > Does anyone know how to obtain it?
>*cough*
>http://collison.ie/blog/2008/04/lisp-machines
>http://www.advogato.org/person/johnw/diary/12.html

<http://www.advogato.org/person/johnw/diary/12.html>So, speaking of lisp
machines:

I've been pushing around a symbolics XL400 from office to office for the
past 15 years.  Unfortunately, it won't boot past the FEP.  The self tests
that I've been able to run report a RAM error.

Now, the only lisp I've ever really managed is in keeping my emacs well fed,
and I know absolutely *nothing* about the hardware thats in this thing.  I
would imagine that given the failing RAM address, there might be a TTL level
part that could be sourced and replaced.

The references I've found online have been mostly about how wonderful life
was with lisp, how bitter the lisp wars were, but very little about the
actual hardware.

So, anyone have any experience hardware troubleshooting one of these?

Cheers,
--sma