[rescue] Good deal?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jul 27 13:03:06 CDT 2011

On 07/27/11 13:45, vintagecoder at aol.com wrote:
> I love my 210s because they're skinny and light, but you have 2x the number
> of drives and 2 PSUs on your 240 which makes it a real nice unit.

The one problem I have with my V210s is that they tend to shut down
overnight in winter, because my rack is in an unheated deckhouse and
they drop below their 50C internal low-temperature limit.

> The even numbered servers (ex. 210, 240, 440) all have cards which I
> personally think is safer than nvram chips *but* the default setup is not
> to have ethernet management enabled, so you have to use a serial terminal-
> unless the one you got was already set up by the previous owner. At my
> levels of ALOM I cannot enable ethernet management! In theory it's
> possible, and the ALOM 1.6 shows how to do it, it's just that the ALOM
> variable doesn't exist at my level of ALOM!

I have Ethernet ALOM on both of mine, but only one of them has
ssh-to-ALOM enabled.  The other, I have to telnet, iirc (or of course
serial-console).  They're both shut down right now pending additional
RAM and reinstall, to get them as close as possible to identical so I
can build a proper a DB test cluster.

Speaking of which ...  anyone have any surplus V210 RAM lying around
that you'd like to turn into a few bucks plus shipping?  1GB modules
would be great, but 512MB would be fine.  I'd like to get 4-8GB into
each one.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.