[rescue] CF + IDE in Tandy 1000RL?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jul 14 15:00:54 CDT 2011

On 14 Jul 2011, at 20:49, Barry Callahan wrote:
[...]
> Yep. A CF->IDE adapter.
> http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/archive/index.php/t-23260.html
> To quote the second post, "Should work in theory, but you will likely be
limited to 520mb as a max size, unless you use some kind of DDO/BIOS Overlay
to compensate"

>From a quick Google, I gather the Tandy 1000 will also do SCSI with a suitable
add-in card, which gives an opportunity to go above 520MB. I've successfully
plugged a CF-IDE adaptor into an Acard SCSIDE adaptor and plugged that into a
SCSI controller on an old but fun system.

(Bonus fun question: the system in question had a disk size limit of exactly
2**32 bytes unless you used SCSI and a custom filesystem that did raw SCSI to
bypass the system's block layer. What was it?)