[rescue] rescuing a Sonicwall SOHO/10 (nd firmware)

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Jul 1 21:40:48 CDT 2011

On 6/30/2011 5:23 PM, rescue at hawkmountain.net wrote:
> I have this old SOHO/10.  I don't have the passwords/etc (I didn't
> even have a power supply, but at least it used a std voltage).
>
> However, Sonicwall doesnot make even this old firmware available
> on line w/o a support contract (that I could find).  I think 5.1.7.0
> was the last for this device.

 From what I can see, the latest version was probably 6.6.0.6 (dated
June 4, 2004) followed by a version 6.6.3.0 (dated March 5, 2007) that
appears to have only addressed the DST changes in North America.  That's
the latest versions for the Pro330 and SOHO3.  I can't download SOHO10
firmware because it appears I have never registered one of those.

> I need the firmware (and whatever special tools are needed to load
> it if any (I have not dug that far yet)) in order to clear it out.
> What I have found is that erasing the config erases the software
> too... so I can't do that....

Shouldn't need any special tools, it's a pretty simple (and IMHO crappy)
web interface on those.

> I know this thing should probably go into the trash, but I'd like
> to see if it works and how good/bad it is for a simple purpose
> rather than trashing it.... but I sure am not going to pay for
> support (even if they'd sell it) on a box this old.

It would not be worth paying for support, they would make it cheaper to
buy a new device than getting support on that one.  It could potentially
be useful for someone looking to use it as trade-in fodder.

> Hoping someone out there has one of these and saved the firmware
> images, and may have any special software required to load the
> box with the firmware.

Have you tried registering it, or transfering the registration from the
previous owner?  it might get your far enough on their website to
download the latest firmware.

     -Dan Sikorski