[rescue] Intergraph CLIX (was: SVR3 man pages)

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Mon Feb 28 15:19:53 CST 2011

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Richard wrote:

> I would really appreciate some sort of disk image of the whole system.
> I have Intergraph clipper workstations and I need OS media for them.

    There are a few of problems with that:

1) Intergraph never had, to my knowledge, *any* sort of hobbyist
   scheme active,

2) Once "taken private" the firm turned into a patent-squatting outfit
   that likely has very nasty teeth when it comes to what gets shared
   around, and I am not interested in getting bitten -- even if the
   code is better than a decade old,  Yes, feel free to colour me a bit
   paranoid; however, it saves me money and keeps me out of jail.

3) Lots of the things that we all take for granted now were separately
   licensed "options" in the Intergrapn world, namely things like
   compilers and NFS, and

4) Getting a proper and useful image is not going to be trivial:

4a)  To produce a disk image I'd have to "cleanse" one of my systems
   of all my personal data, which, might be a pain in the neck, or

4b)  Scratch-load a representative system to produce said image, but
   the intall process is very sensitive to the platform the software
   is being loaded on -- especially given the vagaries of the hardware
   configuration and CPU class.

    Likely the base OS would be reasonably unencumbered so long as one
has hardware; however, the separately-licensed stuff would not be,
and therein lies the rub.

    Does anybody have a tame lawyer in their back pocket who has some
exposure to this sort of thing?