[rescue] What do people think of a Sun Fire V210^W^W Ultra 45

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Feb 14 05:25:27 CST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 12:33:31PM +0200, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
>So I really doubt that the $9,000+ prices are being
>paid by anyone.  I strongly suspect that these auctions are expiring,
>and being re-started, indicating that the sellers aren't getting their
>prices.

Of course they are. Somewhere in the world is a company which has to certify
their product by testing it on a Sun Ultra 45 running a particular version
of Solaris. They will be willing to pay that price instead of renegotiating
the specs of the contract or the government standard.

So the game they are playing is to keep relisting the sale until someone
buys it or offers them a price they will accept.

A friend of mine sells high speed cameras and went to an aircraft parts
factory to sell them a computerized inspection system. It used a combination
of methods to locate hidden faults in castings. It was far better than what
they were using by a factor of 10.

The factory was not interested in it. They had specs which came from the
airlines, which were approved by the US FAA, for a certain method of inspection
and could not deviate from them, even for a better system.

It's also the same with electronics. I went to buy a signal generator
(a source of radio signals for adjusting and testing receivers) from a local
surplus dealer. He had well over a dozen of one HP model and nothing else.

He wanted $400 for each of them. I was willing to pay $150 for one with out
any of the options, accessories, etc. He would rather have them sit there and
collect dust instead, because although he could have made a profit selling me
one of them, he could get $400 from the right person and he was going to wait.

He wasn't rude about it, just insistent.

Someday someone will come in and say their HP signal generator died and they
need to replace it, so they can use it to repair an item that is specified
to be aligned using that device.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.