[rescue] Cut binding off

Barry Callahan barryc at rjlsystems.com
Sun Feb 13 14:44:58 CST 2011

Instead of going to a Kinko's, you'll probably have better luck at not
getting harassed if you went to a "real" print shop. Check your local
yellow pages. (either dead tree or electronic) There's a lot of 'em
around here ranging from mom&pop shops to places that do newspapers.

And you don't need a hydraulic ram cutter. We've got a lever-action
guillotine cutter in the basement, and it'll cut a stack an inch and a
half or so high. Decent quality guillotines can be had on ebay for ~$150
shipped ( eg: http://cgi.ebay.com/370403586978 ) -- make sure it lets
you clamp the paper stack in place and has an adjustable rear guide that
you can actually lock in place. If you're cutting books apart instead of
loose sheets, that's less of an issue.

And if you're looking to use equipment in your shop to cut the books
apart, I'd much rather use a band saw than a circular one.