[rescue] "Workstation" [was Re: What do people think of a Sun Fire V210^W^W Ultra 45]

Steve Hatle shatle at nfldinet.com
Thu Feb 10 15:15:26 CST 2011

On 2/10/11 2:46 PM, "der Mouse"  wrote:

> Hmm.  What's a "server", then?  As a real example, Sun sold
> "SPARCstation N" and "SPARCserver N" for some value of N (1? 5? 20? I
> forget) where the only hardware differences were a factory-installed
> graphics head and the printing on the front of the case.

In my world view, "workstation" implies a graphic console for the benefit of
mainly one user, while "server" implies multiple users/functions with no
graphics or "remote" graphics via X or some other means.

Der Mouse speaks directly to it with the Sparcstation/Sparcserver example
above. You put a CG6 and a keyboard/monitor on it and it's a workstation.
You leave those off and it's a server. Doesn't mean the workstation can't do
server-y things or vice versa, but that's kind of the dividing line for me.

Steve