[rescue] What do people think of a Sun Fire V210^W^W Ultra 45

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Thu Feb 10 14:14:05 CST 2011

der Mouse,

I understand where you are coming from.  I don't think that the PCI bus
is inherently bad, but I do agree that the PCI bus brought a lot of bad
stuff with it.

My definition of a workstation is:

* a powerful system (at least for its time of release), that is not a server
* the main/core CPU is a RISC processor
* runs a real Unix, not a Unix clone

IMHO,  m$ was the first to muddy the classic workstation definition when
they released a product that they called windows nt workstation.

Back to the original poster, it looks like the spec page for this system
is upgradable to (2) 1.6 Ghz processors, 16 Gb of ram and will hold (4)
internal SAS or SATA drives, plus what ever expansion someone might use
for external storage.

http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra45/index.xml

At least for the stuff I do at home and work, I think that the Ultra 45
would meet my needs for some time to come.

Jerry