[rescue] kind of [SUMMARY] SIL3124 and Solaris Sparc support

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Feb 9 08:04:40 CST 2011

On 2/8/2011 11:53 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:
> In addition to this list, I also posted my question to the OpenSolaris
> ZFS list, which in turn, prompted a reply from Eric Trimble @ Oracle.
>
> To cut to the chase, my card will not work in my Sparc system, but not
> due to lack of software or drivers. Apparently, my real problem is
> actually a hardware problem. I would need a card that supports Openboot.

OpenBoot support is only required if you plan to boot from the card.  I
forget if that is what you were trying to do or not.

> It was suggested that I would not be able to find such an animal, and
> that my Plan B should be to replace my eSATA card with a SAS hba. I was
> given an added pointer that the LSI1068 chip set would be a good place
> to start looking, again with the stipulation of OpenBoot support.

Numerous LSI SAS cards work fine under Solaris/SPARC.  I don't know
anyone trying to boot from one, but I do know people using them for SATA
disks for extra storage.

> So now I am looking for a SAS hba for my Netra T1 and/or a V120.

The LSI SAS3800X is sometimes affordable on eBay, and other times it is
about $300.  I recently saw a bunch of LSI SAS3041Xs for under $50,
don't know if they are still there.  Both of those will work under
Solaris SPARC, but again I don't know anyone booting from them.