[rescue] SIL3124 and Solaris Sparc support

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Tue Feb 8 01:11:36 CST 2011

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 00:07:18 -0600, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc> wrote:
> To cut to the chase, after jumping on Yahoo for some RTFM stuff, it
> looks like there is a system package called *SUNWsi3124*.  I looked on
> my Netra, and it isn't there.  I reviewed my OpenSolaris Nevada b130
> iso, and it also doesn't have a SUNWsi3124 package.
>
> On a whim, I looked on my Sun Ultra20m2 system (X64 AMD system) which
> is also running OpenSolaris Nevada b130, and this package is there.
> So it looks like the SUNWsi3124 package is x86/x64 only?
>
> I don't know if this specifically is why my Netra doesn't see my eSATA
> drive, but the SUNWsi3124 package is the best lead I have so far.

I had a similar problem with a SiL card in my U60:
http://www.mail-archive.com/opensolaris-help@opensolaris.org/msg02384.html

And I also asked on the Rescue list:
http://www.sunhelp.org/pipermail/rescue/2007-August/121033.html
(note Lionel's answer)

>From what I can recall, there were drivers that were not for sparc but
for x86 solaris only. At least that was the case for the SiL card that
I had. As you can see from the following link:
http://www.mail-archive.com/storage-discuss@opensolaris.org/msg01438.html

SiL 3124 is apparently supported under sparc, and you can also see
that I did have the thought that I could port my driver to sparc.
However, the thought of big-endian issues, and also knowing that the
same hardware was supported by freebsd meant I didn't pursue it
further.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--