[rescue] CBM 1541 to Mac?

Jason T silent700 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 17:31:30 CST 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > http://www.deviceside.com/
>>
>> Thank you, that is all kinds of brilliant. Pretty much the
>> USB
>> successor to the Catweasel, isn't it?
>
> Kind of. It's a really great idea, but it's pretty limited, especially because it cannot write to disks. I know one of the guys on the classiccmp list is working on a better, more flexible interface that will hopefully be able to read and write.

I have the DeviceSide, although I have not yet tried it on a Mac.  It
works fine, but is somewhat limited.  While none of the USB drive
imagers out there currently support writing to disks, the DS developer
has declared that his never will (it's just not in the hardware.)
Also, when reading C64 disks (and I presume other formats,) the DS
will not read the reverse side of the disk due to a PC drive's
dependence on the index hole.  I've heard that one can punch a second
index hole on the other side but I have not tried this nor seen any
evidence that it works.

The two magnetic flux imaging products in development now are the
Kryoflux (currently shipping, read-only but write is planned) and the
DiscFerret, which is in an earlier stage of development but looks
quite promising.

There is also the ZoomFloppy which looks very cool but is meant
strictly for Commodore drives.  Most (?) of us will probably want to
image other formats at one time or another.

--
jht