[rescue] Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Thu Aug 25 19:54:02 CDT 2011

> See, that's the thing.  BACKWARD continuity is easy.  It's relatively
> easy for the hardware-housed me-consciousness instance to wake up
> with all the memories and experiences of the wetware me-consciousness
> instance.

> What's hard is forward continuity - for the me-consciousness instance
> that is present in the wetware to go to sleep and wake up in the
> hardware.

What's the difference?

That's a serious question.  I'm not convinced there actually is any
difference between those two.

It amounts to defining exactly what "the me-consciousness instance" is;
you seem to have some meaning for it for which there actually is a
distinction there, whereas I'm not sure there is such a thing.  It
seems at least plausible (though definitely not certain) to me that the
consciousness instance *is* the continuity of memory and experience.

> To look at it another way, copying is easy; moving is hard.

I'm not sure we have inumbers nor hardlinks, though. :)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org